Lieutenant Colonel Henry Kirkpatrick’s daughters, Elsie and Daphne Kirkpatrick, bequeathed to the school funds to establish scholarships “for the promotion and encouragement of study in the ophthalmic section” in memory of their father.
Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Kirkpatrick (1871–1958) was interested in ophthalmology from fairly early in his career. His career in the Indian Medical Service provided opportunities—through work in the General Hospital in Madras, the university, and the Government Ophthalmic Hospital—to improve teaching and postgraduate training in pathology and ophthalmology. On retiring from Madras, he was an ophthalmic surgeon at the Tropical Diseases Hospital and a lecturer in ophthalmology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
Application Deadline: 16th April 2023 midnight (BST).
Eligible Countries: International
Number of Awards: 1
Value and Duration of Award: This full-time one-year studentship will cover:
- full tuition fees for MSc Public Health for Eye Care at the overseas fee rate, and
- GBP 19,500.00 tax free stipend towards living costs, flights and visa costs (including the international health surcharge), and
- GBP 1,500.00 towards MSc project costs, and
- GBP 1,100.00 upon successful completion of the course to be used towards attendance at the Alumni Workshop during the week of the graduation ceremony.
- This scholarship is open to all overseas applicants who hold an LSHTM offer of admission for the MSc Public Health for Eye Care course.
- Preference will be given to applicants from low to lower-middle income countries.
How to Apply: The application process has two steps. To be considered for the funding, applicants must meet all eligibility criteria and complete both steps outlined below by the scholarship deadline of 23:59 (BST) on Sunday 16 April 2023.
Submit a 2023-24 application for study for the MSc Public Health for Eye Care, as per instructions under the ‘How to Apply’ tab. Applicants should ensure that all necessary supplementary documents (including references) are submitted via the School’s Admissions Portal by the scholarship deadline.
Evidence that you meet the School’s English Language requirements must be uploaded to your MSc programme application before the scholarship application deadline.
Submit an online scholarships application, selecting the ‘2023-24 Lt Col Henry Kirkpatrick Scholarship’ option from the drop-down menu. A completed 2023-24 Supplementary Questions Form for this scholarship must be uploaded as part of this application. This is the only attachment required in Step 2 (as applicants should have already submitted references; transcripts; a CV etc with their application for study).