The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) initiative promotes global peace and development through volunteerism. The organization collaborates with partners to incorporate qualified, highly motivated, and well-supported United Nations Volunteers into development activities, as well as to promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism.
Every year, approximately 2,000 assignments become available. The United Nations Volunteers program is managed by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the Executive Board of the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS.
Volunteering overseas provides you with the opportunity to serve as a global citizen. International UN Volunteers promote peace and development in communities around the world while honoring the United Nations’ goals and ambitions. These Volunteers come from 160 different countries, representing a vast range of cultures and backgrounds and providing a diverse set of viewpoints and methods.
The international UN Volunteer assignment will have a long-term impact, causing a ripple effect well beyond the immediate outcomes of the volunteer’s work. As an international UN Volunteer, you will learn about new cultures, broaden your network, study foreign languages, and obtain invaluable professional and personal experiences.
- You can join the program with an initial contract of 6 to 12 months. This sometimes is subject to extension sometimes for one to two years. Short-term assignments of three months or less are also requested from time to time UN partners.
- As a volunteer, you will receive allowances as per the UN working code. The purpose of allowances is to enable international UN Volunteers to sustain a modest and secure standard of living at the duty station therefore, allowances are in no way to be understood as a compensation, reward or salary in exchange for the volunteer work.
- You are eligible for a monthly allowance intended to cover basic living expenses
- Duty station upon appointment and for repatriation at the end of the assignment will provide the required travel allowances
- You are eligible for a settling-in-grant. This is calculated on the duration of assignment, paid at the beginning of the assignment
- Volunteers receive insurances covering life, health and permanent disability.
- You will receive an annual leave if you work for more than 3 months
- A resettlement allowance calculated based on the duration of your work
In order to be recruited as a UN Volunteer, you have to fulfil the minimun requirements as described below
- A preferred candidate should have a university degree or higher technical diploma
- Have at least two years of relevant work experience in a professional background
- You must have the ability to adjust in difficult living conditions and sometimes remote locations and fit in as part of your community interactions
- Applicants are usually 25 years old and older
- You should have a good working knowledge of at least one of UNV’s three working languages that is, English, French or Spanish
- commitment to the values and principles of volunteerism
- Have the willingness to work with people and local organizations to draw upon the synergies between expert solutions and local knowledge and have the ability to work in a multicultural environment
- If you have prior volunteering and/or working experience in a developing country, you may have an added advantage
You will have to complete the registration process by following a few steps. These steps must be carefully completed for your profile to be considered for the program
- You will submit some basic information to create an account in the UNV Global Talent Pool after which you will activate your account.
- After successfully activating your account, you will receive a second message with a link to your profile. Click on the Sign up link to enter your information regarding skills, educational qualifications and experience.
- After completing all the required fields, click on the SUBMIT MY PROFILE button.
- Lastly, you will receive an email confirming your successful registration. The email will include a registration number and other practical information for potential candidates.
To apply, Click here
For more information, visit the official website here