The Mastercard Foundation in partnership with the University of Cape Town (UCT), South Africa Invites applications from Africans who are looking to pursue a degree program in UCT.
This scholarship covers the full period of study and are renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the programme. Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to returning to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
Application Deadline: 31st March 2023
Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan Africa
Eligible Field Of Study: Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences
Number of Awardees: 60 opportunities
Duration of Scholarship: 1 year
Value of Scholarship: The scholarships will cover for the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Meals through the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to your studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for your degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
Students enrolled on the Program will receive mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counselling.
Eligibility: In order to be considered for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must be:
- Academically talented, must value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back to their own communities once studies are completed, to return to their home countries and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Citizens and residents of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Wanting to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters, only).
Application Process: To apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to UCT for academic study and placement. Only applicants, who have applied for academic study and placement at UCT, can submit an application for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship.