Deadline to apply: Friday 13th January, 11:59pm GMT.
Many promising young leaders working in the development sector want to volunteer or work nationally and internationally in NGOs, and UN entities or attend leadership programs, exchange opportunities, or fellowships in similar organization in order to achieve the 2030 agenda. However, they have limited knowledge about the 2030 agenda, and they miss many advocacy skills.
Our program (Empower x UKYCC Gender and Climate Guidebook) is an educational project supported by the British Council Egypt and mainly focuses on the consequences of climate change on women. This project contributes to 2 Sustainable Development Goals: Climate Action and Gender Equality due to climate change’s intersectional nature.
The cohort will comprise 45 young climate advocates (15 based in the UK and 30 based in Egypt). The programme will include orientation sessions, training and capacity-building, and planning an awareness campaign on gender and climate.
The project will end with a Hybrid Conference attended by elected parliament from the house and the senate, government officials, climate activists, women rights advocates, students, professors and NGOs representatives. In addition, the youth will present the result of their campaigns through a TED-format talk.
We aim to:
- Prepare young leaders for UN Climate Change’s 28th Conference of the Parties (COP28) and other major climate change events.
- Empower at least 30 Egyptian young leaders and 15 UK young leaders to work together.
- Partner with at least 10 youth communities.
- Have 10 talks presented by the young leaders talking about their campaigns, the challenges they faced, their target audience, and the positive impact they made.
- Engage meaningfully at least 300 youth through 10 campaigns.
- Reach at least 300,000 youth social media users through Facebook, Instagram and other social media platforms.
Eligibility Criteria for UK applicants
- Can commit to a virtual UK-only orientation session on Saturday 21st January 2023, and the full Egypt+UK training on Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th January 2023.
- Age 18-30.
- Has basic knowledge/experience of gender and climate issues.
- Sufficient internet access.
- Fluent in English language.