The Yale Young African Scholars Program is a global academic enrichment program for excellent high school students.
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is a rigorous academic and enrichment program for African secondary school students aiming to continue university education and who want to make a meaningful influence on the continent as young leaders.
Participants will improve their academic skills, receive advice on university applications and career paths, and join a network of African young leaders. Following the program, students will be assigned mentors who will assist them with the university admission process.
Type: Secondary/High School Scholarship
Application Deadline: January 10, 2024
Value & Duration of Award: To make the program accessible to students of all financial backgrounds, there is no cost for students to participate in YYAS.
The YYAS Summit is tuition-free ($0) and provides free housing, meals, and all academic curriculum materials.
Duration of Program:
- YYAS College Prep Workshop (online; 5 days): 18-23 July 2024
- YYAS Leadership Summit (residential in Zimbabwe; 10 days): 9-18 August 2024
Eligible Countries: African Countries
Eligibility: To be considered for the Yale Young African Scholars Program, you must:
- Be between the ages of 16-18 years old by July 21, 2024 (first day of Session III)
- Be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Be a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent)
- e graduating in May/June 2025 or 2026 from the Northern Hemisphere, or in Nov./Dec. 2024 or 2025 from the Southern Hemisphere
- Be a first-time participant in YYGS. If you have participated in a YYGS session during a previous summer (2023 and prior), then you are not eligible to participate during YYGS 2024.Please note: If you previously applied to YYGS but were not offered admission or were unable attend AND you meet the eligibility criteria noted above, then you are encouraged to re-apply for YYGS 2024.
How To Apply: Kindly read through the application steps here
Interested candidates should click on “Apply For This Scholarship” below
Required Documents: All students must submit the following application components:
- Activities list
- One 400-word essay and one 200-word response
- Two “fast take” responses (280 characters each)
- Official school transcript
- One Recommender (who will complete the YYGS Recommendation Form* ONLY)
- Application fee ($70 for Early Action and $85 for Regular Decision)
- You must click the Submit Application button on the “Review” page for your application to be considered.
- OPTIONAL: English fluency test scores (TOEFL or Duo-Lingo)
- OPTIONAL: Need-based financial aid