Application Deadline: September 30, 2023
The World Bank Group Young Professionals Program (WBG YPP) is an inspirational pathway into the World Bank Group. Young Professionals are recruited from around the world with various academic and professional backgrounds relevant to the World Bank, IFC and MIGA. The WBG is looking for applicants who demonstrate a passion for international development, graduate education, relevant professional experience, and the potential to grow into impactful leadership roles across the institutions.
To be considered for the WBG YPP, applicants must:
- Be born on or after October 1, 1990
- Have a master’s or doctoral degree*
- Specialize in a field relevant to YPP Business Areas
- Demonstrate relevant professional experience or continued study at the doctoral level**
- Be fluent in English
- The Bank’s Group recruitment policy is to hire staff of the highest caliber, on as wide a geographical basis as possible, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries or countries of operations.
The World Bank Group offers competitive salaries and benefits to match a compelling career choice. Salaries are internationally competitive and based upon education qualifications and professional experience.
Health, Life, Accident, and Other Insurance Programs
Headquarters-recruited staff and their eligible family members (including domestic partners) may choose from three comprehensive medical/dental benefit plans, with no pre-existing condition exclusions if enrollment is made within 60 days of entry-on-duty.
The World Bank Group sponsors a comprehensive pension plan for all staff. Staff and the World Bank Group make contributions toward a pension that is used upon retirement.
Relocation, Resettlement, and Expatriate Benefits
For staff appointed to positions subject to international recruitment, the World Bank Group pays relocation benefits upon appointment and resettlement benefits upon end of employment. The World Bank also pays a mobility premium to eligible expatriate staff appointed to positions at headquarters subject to international recruitment, with eligibility based on nationality and visa/residency status in the appointment duty station.
New staff receive 26 days of annual leave and 15 days of sick leave per year, accrued daily. Parental leave (100 days for Primary Caregiver; 50 days for Secondary Caregiver) is available for childbirth and/or adoption.
- Academic Credentials*
- 1 Short Essay
- Short Summary of Thesis or Dissertation (World Bank candidates, only if applicable)
- 3 Professional or Academic Recommendations**
*Diploma, Degree Completion Letter, Proof of Enrollment with Expected Graduation Date or Transcript.
**Recommendations will be requested via email during the eligibility screening stage.
Short Essay Question
Please answer the following (in 500 words or less, for each prompt):
- Why would you like to join the World Bank Group Young Professionals Program and what makes you a great candidate for the program? In your response, please also indicate your preference for participating in the program at the World Bank, IFC or MIGA, and why.
- Overlapping crises, such as disease outbreaks, climate change impacts, conflicts, and financial crises, coupled with fiscal and resource constraints, pose a complex challenge to many countries. How would you advise the World Bank Group to support countries in addressing that challenge by, amongst other, increasing governments’ capacity to respond and address the needs of their most vulnerable populations, working with the private sector to mobilize and enable financing for development, and engaging with the international community? If possible, please illustrate your response with examples based upon your technical expertise and experience.
YPP interviews will be conducted in a hybrid format (virtual and in-person) and may include:
- Pre-recorded interview (on Hirevue)
- Live panel interview
- An assessment center, where you will be asked to participate in individual and group exercises
- Timed computer-based financial tests (IFC candidates)
Applicants who are invited to interview will be provided with more detail as the process moves along.
Candidates are assessed based on experience, technical expertise, and competencies such as client orientation, leadership and communication.
For More Information: