Western Cape transport authorities have warned motorists that drunk driving will not be tolerated on the province’s roads this festive season.
Provincial Transport Minister, Bonginkosi Madikizela, says there has already been a concerning increase in drunk driving cases over the last month. He was speaking during the launch of the Festive Season Safety Plan at the Hugenot Tunnel on the N1, outside Paarl, on Thursday.
The Western Cape is a popular holiday destination and is expected to once again draw thousands of tourists, despite a rise in COVID-19 infections. The province has recorded over 130 000 cases so far.
This year, motorists are not only urged to adhere to the rules of the road, but also to observe safety protocols to curb the spread of the virus.
Minister Madikizela says even though the province recorded a 23% decline in road deaths during the previous festive season, the number of people dying on the province’s roads is still a cause for concern.