Dr Vuyane Mhlomi, a man from humble beginnings in Khayelitsha
, graduated from Oxford University proving that putting your mind to something, pays off.
Dr Vuyane Mhlomi recently graduated from Oxford University with a DPhil which is more commonly known as a PhD. He was a recipient of a Rhodes Scholarship which afforded him the opportunity to attend Oxford University.
Born and raised in Khayelitsha, Mhlomi was the third child of four. His single mother supported the family and Mhlomi refused to let his situation bring him down. He believed he could do anything he set his mind to.
He believed that if you’re going to dream big then your work ethic needs to be bigger than your hopes. He knew what he wanted in life and he was going to get it.
At just 29 his life’s achievements are something to be admired. Lead SA shared a list of them on their website including the fact that he has been selected as a #947HumanGem.
- He graduated from the University of Cape Town with a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree (MBChB) (2011)
- UCT Most Outstanding Leader in a Faculty Council Award (2011)
- Founded the MH Foundation – which helps underprivileged youngsters obtain the resources to succeed (2012)
- Mail & Guardian Top 200 young South Africans
- He is an actor and an award-winning playwright
- Obtained his DPhil from Oxford University (2017)
You can watch his full story below.