La Colombe in Constantia has been named South Africa’s number one restaurant at the 2019 Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Restaurant Awards.
Moving from number three in 2018, it is the first time La Colombe has achieved the title of “Restaurant of the Year”, having previously peaked at second place in 2015 and 2016.
Restaurant at Waterkloof, 2018’s number 0ne, remains in the top 10, now ranking third in 2019, while The Test Kitchen retained its second-place ranking.
This was followed by Wolfgat (maintaining its fourth place ranking), new entrant FYN, La Colombe’s sister restaurant, La Petit Colombe, and two new entrants in Eike and Salsify.
Rounding out the top 10 are Restaurant at Mosaic (ninth) and Chefs Warehouse at Beau Constantia (10th).
Here are the top 10 in order:
1. La Colombe (Constantia, Cape Town)
2. The Test Kitchen (Woodstock, Cape Town)
3. The Restaurant at Waterkloof (Somerset West)
4. Wolfgat (Paternoster)
5. FYN Restaurant (City Bowl, Cape Town)
6. La Petite Colombe (Franschhoek)
7. Eike (Stellenbosch)
8. Salsify (Camps Bay, Cape Town)
9. Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient (Elandsfontein, Pretoria)
10. Chefs Warehouse at Beau Constantia (Constantia, Cape Town)
Eat Out also listed the other restaurants featured in the overall top 20, which includes LivingRoom at Summerhill Estate from Durban, the only other restaurant (aside from Mosaic) outside the Western Cape to be featured.
11. Camphors at Vergelegen (Somerset West)
12. Overture (Stellenbosch)
13. LivingRoom at Summerhill Estate (Cowies Hill, Durban)
14. Chefs Warehouse at Maison (Franschhoek)
15. Greenhouse at The Cellars-Hohenort (Constantia, Cape Town)
16. Le Coin Français (Franschhoek)
17. La Tête (City Bowl, Cape Town)
18. The Shortmarket Club (City Bowl, Cape Town)
19. Tjing Tjing Momiji (City Bowl, Cape Town)
20. Rust en Vrede (Stellenbosch)