Cyril Ramaphosa is a South African politician and the fifth and current President of South Africa. He became President following the resignation of Jacob Zuma.
He is known majorly for politics and business but there are more things about President Cyril Ramaphosa you probably didn’t know before now but, you are about to find out.
1. His first name is Matamela not Cyril.
2. Ramaphosa was one of the organisers for the conference, which lead to the formation of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu). He delivered the keynote speech at Cosatu’s launch in 1985.
3. Ramaphosa served as the General Secretary of Cosatu until he resigned in 1991 when he was elected to be the Secretary General of the ANC.
4. Ramaphosa is considered one of the richest people in Africa
5. He holds honorary doctorates from UKZN, UCT, UPE, National University of Lesotho, the University of Massachusetts and the University of Pennsylvania.
6. In 2007 Time magazine listed Ramaphosa as one of the 100 men and women whose power, talent and moral example was transforming the world.
7. Ramaphosa was on the National Reception Committee, which welcomed former president Nelson Mandela after his release from prison.
8. He and ex-president of Finland, Martti Ahtisaari were inspectors for the Irish Republican Army weapons dump in Northern Ireland.
9. Ramaphosa is the Honorary Consul General of Iceland in South Africa.
10. When he was appointed deputy president of South Africa he refused to move into State House, preferring to stay in his family home where some of his four children still live.