in ,

Sans Souci Teacher Back In Court For Assaulting Pupil

A Sans Souci Girls’ High School teacher was back in Wynberg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday morning after an assault charge was reinstated against her.

Clarissa Venter was seen in a video, which went viral last year, slapping a pupil who had pushed her.

The charge was withdrawn in August 2019 after her lawyer, William Booth, made submissions to the Wynberg Court chief prosecutor.

Booth had previously said he believed the case should be withdrawn as the disciplinary hearing against his client had been dealt with and that the pupil had decided to leave Sans Souci.

The teacher charged with the assault of a Sans Souci Girls High School pupil, as well as the teenager she slapped, made their first appearances in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

In the clip of the altercation between Venter and a Grade 9 pupil, Venter can be seen slapping the pupil before grabbing her by the shirt.

The girl then held on to the teacher’s arm and said: “You hit me!”

Venter replied that the girl had pushed and swore at her.

Booth said the DPP has since instructed prosecutors to reinstate the charge.

Police contacted Venter last month saying she would be served with a summons to appear in court again. 

Booth said he had written to the director of public prosecutions in Cape Town asking why an assault charge against his client had been reinstated.

He said the NPA has yet to respond.

“I’ve already addressed a letter to the NPA two weeks ago asking on what basis they are recharging her because the case was withdrawn finally last year,” Booth said.

Booth said the NPA has undertaken to respond before Venter’s next appearance on April 7.

Loading...

Written by Mathew

[g1_socials_user user="12" icon_size="28" icon_color="text"]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Mangaung Mayor Survives Second Motion Of No Confidence

Lesufi To Visit Pretoria School Where 5 Pupils Allegedly Cut Off 12-year-Old’s Finger