Taking after SA heated xenophobic rebel against Africans, a gathering in Nigeria has requested all South African inhabitants in Nigeria to leave the nation or face demise.
As indicated by a current report from Nigeria, the National Association of Nigerian Students gave SA subjects 48 hours to leave the nation to maintain a strategic distance from carnage.
The subjects who have been irritated by the steady endeavors by South Africans to see their African partners out of the nation, have professedly given South African occupants in Nigeria until Tuesday to empty their property with a specific end goal to maintain a strategic distance from carnage.
The citizen reported the warning amid a violent spate of xenophobic revolt that has gripped parts of Gauteng, particularly Pretoria, in the past two weeks.
Nigerians in Abuja also slammed the South African government’s alleged failure to prosecute perpetrators of the xenophobic attacks, saying they had granted the perpetrators “a license to kill foreign nationals”.
The South African high commissioner in Abuja, Lulu Mnguni, told The Citizen by telephone on Monday that South African lives had been threatened by the National Association of Nigerian Students, who have given them 48 hours to vacate the country.
“The expiry date is tomorrow [Tuesday],” said Mnguni who further noted that security had been beefed up to protect South Africans in Nigeria.
Although South Africans feared for their lives, he urged them to remain calm, limit their movement and be vigilant while moving around.
The past weeks in South Africa has been scary as citizens and foreigners in the country violently attack each other following demands by South Africans for all foreigners to leave the country.
The violence, which has been vehemently condemned by the presidency and concerned individuals in the country, was marked with mass destruction of properties belonging to foreigners, particularly those allegedly belonging to Nigerian citizens.
In retaliation, Nigerians allegedly embarked on a protest, “harassed” South African staff members from MTN in Abuja and “stole customers’ phones and staff laptops”. This allegedly took place in full view of 30 police officers, who took no action.
Elijah lambasted the South African government, saying its “silence has given a group of criminals the licence to kill”.
He added that they had not read any media reports relating to convictions for such criminal conduct.
The Nigerian government has also condemned comments by SA Minster of Home Affairs (Malusi Gigaba) who suggested that diplomacy is the solution to attacks on Nigerians living in South Africa.
The Foreign Affairs Senior Special Adviser to the President of Nigeria, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa reportedly proclaimed that the Nigerian government will no longer ignore the violence against its citizens in South Africa.
She said “Gigaba’s response to the mayhem that a segment of the South African people perpetrated on law-abiding Nigerians in South Africa smirks of insensitivity, and is therefore very reprehensible, if not unacceptable.
In view of the “unfortunate statement”, Dabiri-Erewa reiterated her call for the African Union to take up SA xenophobic revolt issue as a matter of urgency.
Similarly, South Africa’s former president, Thabo Mbeki told South Africans that it was offensive to characterize African migrants living in SA as criminals.
Mbeki urged the people of South Africa to abandon the attitudes driving the xenophobic revolt in South Africa. And, to stop treating Africans residing in SA as enemies and unwanted guests.
He also tasked South African citizens to always remember the role African countries played in Mzansi’s struggle against apartheid.
“We cannot now behave in a manner that treats fellow Africans, who are now residents in our country, as enemies or unwelcome guests. Neither should we commit the offence of viewing or characterising African migrants in our country as criminals.” The former leader said.