375g Rama Perfect Bake Margarine, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups sugar
3 cups self-raising flour
¾ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup buttermilk
Filling and topping
3 tins caramel
1 cup whipping cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
1-2 slabs Peppermint Crip
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 21cm x 30cm baking pan with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above the edges of the pan on all sides.
2. Beat together margarine, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift half the flour and cocoa over the butter mixture. Add half the buttermilk. Stir until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour, cocoa and buttermilk.
4. Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
5. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool in the baking pan. Flip the cake onto a board once cooled completely.
6. Using the back of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the top of the cake. Microwave caramel for 30 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds.
7. Pour over cooled cake, making sure to fill all the holes.
8. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes or until the caramel has set.
9. Whip the cream until it begins to thicken, then add the vanilla extract and whip until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the caramel layer.
10. Crumble over the Peppermint Crisp and enjoy.