Netflix has officially begun production on its first original African series, Queen Sono. It is an action-packed spy thriller produced by Johannesburg-based Diprente, starring Pearl Thusi in the lead role.
She portrays the part of an unconventional spy working for an undercover South African agency. The agency is devoted to protecting the people of Africa. Netflix also confirmed the rest of the cast.
Queen Sono cast
- Pearl Thusi as Queen Sono
- Vuyo Dabula as Shandu, an ex-spy who has taken a different path
- Sechaba Morojele as Dr Sid, director of the SOG
- Chi Mhende as an SOG agent
- Loyiso Madinga as an SOG agent
- Rob Van Vuuren as an SOG agent
- Kate Liquorish as plays Ekaterina, heiress of an oligarch family with ulterior motives.
- Khathu Ramabulana as Queen’s childhood friend, William
- Enhle Maphumulo as Nova, in a relationship with William
- Abigail Kubekha as Mazet, Queen’s beloved Gogo
- Supporting cast includes Connie Chiume, Otto Nobela, James Ngcobo
Showrunner and Director Kagiso Lediga will be joined by Cannas Lions and SAFTA Award-winning director Tebogo Malope. In the producer’s chair is Tamsin Andersson.
Production and release details
Pearl Thusi broke the news back in December when she said how much she’s looking forward to the “thrilling story about a kickass female spy.” She said on Twiter:
“I can’t believe I’m saying this, the team […] has worked so hard to make this happen. Thank you to Netflix for believing in this idea. I cannot wait for every young woman, every woman on this continent, actually every woman on this planet, to meet Queen Sono.”
Queen Sono is expected to launch globally in 2020