Duke of Edinburgh was born on the island of Corfu, on 10th June 1921
- He is the youngest child and only son of Prince Andrew of Greece and Princess Alice of Battenberg.
- His grandfather was a Prince of Denmark who became King of Greece.
- He is also related to Prussian and Russian royalty. He renounced his Greek royal title in 1947 and became a British subject.
- Prince Philip lived for seven years in France as a boy, and still speaks the language well.
- The Duke was on active service in the Royal Navy throughout the Second World War. His first naval appointment, aged 18, was as a midshipman to HMS Ramillies.
- He was mentioned in dispatches for his work on HMS Valiant in 1941 at the Battle of Matapan against the Italian fleet.
- As well as the title Duke of Edinburgh, Philip has the titles Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich. All three titles were conferred by King George VI in 1947.
- The Queen created her husband a Prince of the United Kingdom in 1957.
The Duke of Edinburgh in the cockpit of an aircraft at RAF