,

Men Accused of Coligny Teen’s Murder to Appear in Court


The two men accused of murdering 16-year-old Matlhomola Moshoeu are expected to appear in the North West High Court on Wednesday.

Philip Schutte, 34, Pieter Doorewaard, 27, pleaded not guilty to the string of charges that include murder, intimidation, kidnapping, theft, the unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition and pointing a firearm.

The two are accused of murdering Moshoeu in Coligny on April 20, 2017. Doorewaard and Schutte maintain that they caught the teenager stealing a sunflower on that day.

They claim that their intention was to drive him to the police station, but he jumped off their bakkie along the way and broke his neck.

On the day of the incident the State’s final witness, advanced life support paramedic Itumeleng Ledikwa, said that emergency services had been notified that a child had fallen from a moving vehicle.

Ledikwa said that when paramedics arrived on the scene, Moshoeu was found bleeding from his nose and mouth.

Upon further examination, it was discovered that the teen had a fractured skull.

Moshoeu’s death led to violent protests in Coligny. Some residents believe that he was killed because he was black. Several houses and businesses were set alight and vandalized.

Doorewaard and Schutte are out on R5 000 bail each.

Loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.