A man taken for questioning in connection with the gruesome murder of seven women and children at a house in Vlakfontein‚ south of Johannesburg‚ has been released.
Police spokesperson captain Mavela Masondo said on Friday: “We couldn’t link him to the crime at this stage‚ but the investigation is continuing.”
The man‚ reported to be the boyfriend of one of the deceased‚ was taken in for questioning after the bodies were discovered‚ covered with sand‚ inside the house and a backroom on Monday.
Masondo revealed that the man who was questioned was at the house when police arrived‚ after neighbours alerted them to a foul smell coming from the house.
Police are looking for a man identified as Sibusiso Ernest Khoza‚ who they believe could help them with the investigation. Khoza had lived with the family for about three months.
Gauteng community safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane visited the house on Wednesday. She revealed that sharp objects had been used to kill the victims.
Malobane said her department would help the family with funeral arrangements‚ counselling services and medical attention.
She said a priority investigation unit was handling the investigation.
“We are confident that they will do a good job in ensuring that whoever is responsible for this will be arrested‚” said Malobane.
Funeral proceedings will be held on Sunday in KwaZulu-Natal.