Man Assaulted At Petrol Station For Wearing EFF Cap

A 38-year-old man was assaulted and allegedly called a k-word at a petrol station apparently because he was wearing an EFF branded cap.

Ron Rambebu narrated how he was blindsided and viciously assaulted while he was sitting in his car at the Engen garage on Kingfisher Road in Horizon Park, Roodeport, on the West Rand.

“At first I didn’t know what was happening because I had just paid the attendant and was getting ready to leave, so my initial thought was that I was being hijacked. I felt an intense amount of pressure on my face but didn’t understand what it was – I thought maybe the station was collapsing,” Rambebu said.

A video of Rambebu’s attack went viral on social media at the weekend and left many wondering what the root of the attack was.

“I spoke to the petrol attendants [afterwards] and they said they overheard the two guys talking in Afrikaans saying that they were going to beat me up because I was wearing an EFF cap and that maybe I stole the car I was driving,” Rambebu said.

In the video, the father of three is seen being approached by the attacker. It does not seem like any words are exchanged before the attacker punches Rambebu multiple times through the vehicle’s window.

Rambebu does not appear to be retaliating during the attack but he attempts to drive off before parking his vehicle and chasing his attacker with a spanner that he picked up. His attacker is then seen boarding a white Ford Mustang and driving off with his associate.

Donald Mabunda@MabundaDee

We must forgive and forget!! But we are reminded everyday. Mama give us a signal, what must we do in this case @ZindziMandela @AsktheChiefJMPD @EFFSouthAfrica @effjoburg

766 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

“The guy kept speaking Afrikaans to me while punching me and I didn’t understand what he was saying. I wanted to fight back but everything was happening so quickly. I didn’t have a weapon on me so I parked my car and got hold of a spanner at the garage but they fled before I could do anything,” he said.

Rambebu was left with a huge gash above his right eye following the attack.

“I was traumatised and shocked because I don’t even know those guys.
You could also see that they were either drunk or high because nobody in their right mind would do something like that,” he said.

Police spokesman Capt Kay Makhubele said the police were investigating the matter but no arrests have been made.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.