• One red bell pepper
• One large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1/2 to 3/4 medium-sized onion
• One teaspoon canola oil
• Three large cloves garlic, chopped
• One cup (225ml) unsweetened soy milk
• Two tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 box spaghetti
• Fresh basil, chopped, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Poke a few holes in the red pepper and roast for about 30 minutes. While the pepper is roasting, peel and cube the sweet potato. Roast the sweet potato at the same temperature for 20 minutes.
2. While the other vegetables are roasting, chop the onion. Coat a skillet with the oil and place over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. When the onion has started to brown, add the chopped garlic cloves and cook an additional 30 seconds.
3. Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
4. When the pepper is roasted and cool enough to handle, take the skin off and remove the seeds.
5. Blend together the pepper, sweet potato, onion and garlic until smooth, and drain the pasta.
6. Mix the sauce into the pasta, top with fresh basil and serve.