For a refreshing update, this dish is served with a salsa made from creamy avocado, juicy tomato and tangy cilantro.
A lime-juice marinade “cooks” the raw shrimp in this classic ceviche.
500g large peeled and deveined shrimp (16-20 count), halved lengthwise and chopped
½ cup lime juice, divided
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1 serrano chilli, seeded if desired, finely chopped
⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ tsp salt
1. Combine shrimp and lime juice in a medium nonreactive bowl.
2. Refrigerate until opaque, 3 to 4 hours.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a large bowl, reserving the lime juice.
4. Add tomato, avocado, chilli, cilantro and salt. Stir to combine.
5. Add 1 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved lime juice to taste.