We all know that eating a healthy diet is essential for our physical health. It’s equally important for our brain’s health. The brain is a complex and powerful organic machine that requires nutrients to function properly, just like your heart, lungs, eyes or muscles.
The brain controls all thought, movement and sensation, while calculating and reacting with blistering speed. It is a storehouse of innumerable data. Plus, the brain regulates the functions of other body organs without taking a break.
For the brain to work continuously and remain in good condition, it relies on a steady supply of essential nutrients from our diet, blood sugar and oxygen. Through a well-balanced diet, you can easily provide your brain with all the necessary nutrients to enjoy better memory, sharpened reflexes and a better attention span. Also, it will help ward off mental illnesses like Alzheimer’s, dementia and more.
There are many superfoods that you can easily include in your daily diet to strengthen your brain and enhance your mental performance.
1. Green Tea: The latest studies show that green tea helps the brain function properly. Researchers concluded that green tea extract increases the brain’s electrical connectivity, which in turn enhances cognitive functions and helps treat dementia. Plus, it has been found that those who drink green tea have better memory, focus, and concentration compared to those who do not drink tea. Also, people who drink tea each day are less likely to develop Parkinson’s disease. Drink two to three cups of freshly brewed green tea – hot or iced – to boost brain power.
2. Tomatoes: You can’t ignore the memory-boosting power of tomatoes. Lycopene, a powerful antioxidant present in tomatoes, protects against free radical damage to cells that contributes to dementia, especially Alzheimer’s. Plus, those who consume lycopene on a daily basis enjoy sharper memories compared to those who do not. Also,tomatoes can help protect your brain against strokes.
3. Dark chocolate: The list of foods that is good for the brain would be incomplete without dark chocolate. Antioxidant-rich dark chocolate is healthy for your whole body as well as your brain. The caffeine content in dark chocolate plays a key role in maintaining mental acuity. Plus, dark chocolate is rich in flavonoids that help improve blood flow to the brain. A study found that dark chocolate improves concentration, response time and recall. So, add a little piece of dark chocolate to your daily diet plan to boost brain power. Along with dark chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate are also good for the brain.
4. Eggs: Eggs, more specifically the yolks, are a leading source of choline. Choline is a precursor for acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter involved in helping you remember things like where you left the car keys. Eating protein-rich foods like eggs for breakfast can improve overall cognitive performance.
5. Oats: The primary fuel for your brain is glucose, which comes from carbohydrates such as those abundant in oats. Since your body breaks down the carbs in whole-grain oats very slowly, they help keep you sharp for several hours.
6. Coconut: Coconut has gained the reputation of being one of the best fuels to enhance healthy brain function due to it being a rich source of medium chain triglycerides (MCT). MCT go straight to your liver to be processed into ketones, and then sent to the brain to be used for fuel. By providing a stable fuel supply, coconut is considered to be great fuel for your brain and supporting your brain’s learning capabilities and memory retention.