Leisure and travel magazine, Conde Nast has published its list of the 25 best hotels in Africa – 16 of which are found within the borders of South Africa.
Of the 16 South African hotels, three are found in Joburg, two in Franschoek and one in Umhlanga, Stellenbosch and Hermanus – with Cape Town scooping eight positions, “proving that the Mother City is a world-class travel destination,” according to Cape Town Tourism CEO, Enver Duminy.
Four South African hotels made it into the top 5 – with the Belond Mount Nelson Hotel taking the top position on the continent.
The South African tourism industry has had a tough year, with no thanks to government for pushing onerous visa laws through which made it more difficult for foreigners to enter the country.
“After a year of challenges, accolades such as these – in addition to the announcement that visa and birth certificate regulations are to be relaxed – are encouraging for all our partners in the tourism industry, Duminy said.
“We are well-placed to highlight Cape Town as a top travel destination as we head into the high season.”
The best hotels in South Africa
1. Belond Mount Nelson Hotel – Cape Town
2. The Oyster Box – Umhlanga
3. Ellerman House – Cape Town
4. The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa – Cape Town
5. Birkenhead House Hotel – Hermanus
6. Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa – Johannesburg
7. Babylonstoren – Cape Town
8. La Residence – Western Cape
9. One&Only – Cape Town
10. Cape Grace Hotel – Cape Town
11. Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff – Johannesburg
12. The Table Bay – Cape Town
13. Spier Hotel – Stellenbosch
14. Taj Cape Town – Cape Town
15. Le Quartier Français – Franschoek
16. 54 on Bath – Johannesburg