Gunmen caused mayhem at early on Wednesday when they opened fire on Jerome Booysen. Here are 10 things you should know about Booysen:
• He has been identified as the leader of the notorious Sexy Boys gang;
• He survived two previous attempts on his life this year;
• In 2012 police indicated in court that he played a part in the murder of Cyril Beeka‚ another underworld figure and executive of a courier company;
• He is the president of the Belhar Rugby Football Club;
• This year he instituted legal action against police who raided his family home in Bellville and allegedly caused damage;
• One of his business partners is Cape Town property mogul Mark Lifman‚ who was a VIP guest at President Jacob Zuma’s birthday rally in 2014;
• In addition to owning several properties in Cape Town‚ he is also involved in the night-club scene;
• His brother‚ Colin Booysen‚ was shot outside his house in Belhar in 2013; and
• Seasoned lawyer Pete Mihalik has acted for Booysen in the past and is currently representing multi-millionaire Jason Rohde‚ who is on trial for murdering his wife at Spier wine estate in Stellenbosch.
‘Gang boss’ Jerome Booysen shot at Cape Town airport
Alleged underworld boss Jerome Booysen was taken to hospital after he was wounded in a shooting at Cape Town International Airport on Wednesday morning.
TimesLIVE has established that the businessman was “not seriously wounded”. He was taken to hospital by his bodyguard. A pool of blood was left in the area where the shooting happened‚ which was cordoned off.
It is the third time this year Booysen‚ said to be the leader of the Sexy Boys gang‚ has been shot at.
Robbie Roberts‚ director of law enforcement in the City of Cape Town‚ said: “Two vehicles involved at the drop-off point. One person wounded. SAPS will be investigating.”
Roberts said the perpetrators fled the scene and were still at large.
It is unclear how many people were involved in the shooting but the police would be looking at CCTV footage from the airport as part of their investigation‚ he said.
Last month Booysen’s vehicle was peppered with bullets near his Bellville home. In May‚ Booysen was shot twice in the neck in Ravensmead.
Western Cape police referred questions to its national communications department.
Cape Town Airport tweeted: “@capetownint gunshot incident took place. No road closures and all operations are on-going. Updates will be provided.”
The airport added: “@capetownint there was an incident where someone got shot. Airport operations are ongoing.”
Social media user Valentino tweeted: “Chilling at the check-in counter at Cape Town Airport then BANG gunshots everywhere…saw the one guy get shot…#Hectic”.
Sylvia Klopper tweeted: “Gun shots at Cape Town airport this morning. Everyone shell shocked. Seems to have been gang related and possibly one injured.”