Are you ready to explore some of the most delicious tastes around our Rainbow Nation? From a sushi burrito to a deep-fried Oreo cookie, and a Tandoori chicken pizza, these scrumptious eats incorporate unusual, tasty ingredients to showcase the culinary creativity of some of our country’s talented cooks and chefs.
Plan a quick foodie escape to one of these tasty spots! You won’t be disappointed!
Here is our bucket list of delicious things all over South Africa that we’d like to tuck into sooner rather than later…
1. Crunch wrapped sushi burrito from Sushi Burrito in Melrose Arch
This Mexican meets Japanese sumptuous delight can make its way onto our plate anytime! So what if it looks like an uncut sushi roll…
2. Shisa nyama from Mzoli’s in Guglethu
You might have a long wait and the tablecloths are plastic, but when your massive platter of braaied meat arrives, you’ll wish you’d heard about this kasi spot sooner.
3. Dulce de leche crème brûlée croissant cup from Jason Bakery in Bree
Not that we need a specific time to eat it, but how about devouring this for dessert or breakfast or whenever the craving hits.
4. Gourmet boerie roll from Milk Bar in Rosebank
A delicious boerewors roll with all the bells and whistles is a must-have on our list.
5. Ice-cream macarons at Sugarlicious in Umhlanga
Decadent ice-cream sandwiched between two macarons sounds like a recipe for a taste-bud party we just cannot miss.
6. The mutton bunny at Cane Cutters in Glenwood
This award-winning bunny chow won the 2016 Coca-Cola Bunny Chow Barometer Competition… enough said.
7. Deep-fried Oreos from Hudsons
Oreos + deep fried = yes please! Even better, Hudsons has restaurants in Jo’burg, Cape Town and Durban, so we can all snack on these tasty treats.
8. Cronut and milkshake combo from X&O Cronuts in Melville
Yes, you will have to spend two hours in the gym working off the calories from this sweet treat, but it will be worth it!
9. Tandoori chicken pizza from ’86 Public in Braamfontein
We’ve realised that finding a good pizza is like discovering gold and this one is worth sharing (or not sharing)… you’re welcome!
10. Poke bowl from Hokey Poke in Cape Town
It’s like a delicious deconstructed sushi roll in a bowl — healthy and packed with flavour, what’s not to love?