It appears the Ebola virus disease (EVD) still lingers in West Africa, the worst hit region following the 2014 break out. Ever since Guinea was officially declared free from Ebola on December 29, 2015, there hasn’t been a recurrence until now.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) recently made it publicly known that there are two fresh Ebola cases in the country, five, if you count the three deaths of family members of the diseased who passed away under suspicious circumstances relating to the virus. According to the WHO, the cases were reported in Koropara, in the remote N’Zerekore prefecture in southeast Guinea, 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) from the capital.
According to the WHO, this week, they were alerted by Guinea officials about three unexplained deaths in Koropara and said members of the same family were showing symptoms of the Ebola virus. “A mother and her 5-year-old son, relatives of the deceased, confirmed positive for Ebola virus disease in lab tests,” the WHO said. The two have been taken to a treatment facility.
Data from the WHO in March 2016, suggests that so far, in Guinea there have been 3804 cases and 2536 deaths as a result of Ebola outbreaks in the country, mostly due to human to human transmission of fluids during care-giving and sexual intercourse.
After reports of the outbreak were confirmed by the WHO, specialists were sent in to contain the cases and prevent further spread to other people within that province. These include surveillance experts and contact tracers.
It is, however, difficult to completely ascertain the potential damage Ebola could cause the West African region, this is because, there have been cases of under-reporting in the past. This situation has led to many cases being ignored or unknown, partly due to the poor healthcare system that is prevalent in many African countries.
Source – ventures