Lundi Tyamara’s Funeral may not be a state affair. According to several reports, the late gospel star’s family has reportedly not been approached by any government official about a state funeral for the singer.
So far, Minister of Arts and Culture Nathi Mthethwa has paid a courtesy visit to the family and asked their spokesperson and Lundi’s manager, Anele Hlazo, about any shortages for funeral arrangements. However, he didn’t mention anything about a state funeral.
Apparently, there won’t be any state burial for the 38-year-old singer as spokesperson for the Western Cape MEC for cultural affairs and sport Stacy McLean told The Sowetan that Lundi’s family had not applied for a state funeral. Instead, the MEC said the municipality was assisting the family with arrangements.
Hlazo on the other hand, said the family was not even aware they had to apply for a state funeral. Meanwhile, the date for the burial is fast approaching. “So far we are on our own. We have not been approached by anyone for any plans to give Lundi a state funeral,” Hlazo said Nevertheless, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
According to the tabloid, a mystery businesswoman has come forward to help fund Lundi Tyamara’s Funeral service. This is after it has dawned on everyone that he will not be awarded a state burial as we all anticipated. The family spokesperson confirmed that help is coming from a certain businesswoman who prefers to remain anonymous.
“When it comes to funeral arrangements we are getting help from a businesswoman. She was very close to Lundi and his child used to live with her”
The award-winning singer died on Friday morning after a long battle with TB and liver complications. His memorial service was held on Wednesday at Grace Bible Church in Soweto. His funeral service will be held at Zwelethemba Community Hall in Worcester, Western Cape, on Sunday.