Nigeria Abducted South African Man To Return Home

Nelson Kgwete

The South African who was among seven employees of an Australian mining company abducted in Calabar, Nigeria, last Wednesday is expected back in South Africa on Tuesday morning.

Nelson Kgwete, spokesman for the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, confirmed this on Monday. He said the unnamed South African was leaving Nigeria on Monday night.

Macmahon Holdings Limited, the company which employed the seven men, said in a statement on Sunday that five of them had been injured, two seriously and were receiving treatment from a team of medical specialists.

ALSO READ  Here Are South Africa's Most Expensive Cities

The two who had not been injured were also undergoing medical assessment.

“Arrangements have been made for the men’s safe return to their families, once they receive medical clearance to travel,” the company said in a statement.

Macmahon CEO Sy van Dyk commended all the men for the courage they displayed throughout the ordeal.

“Our men have been through a traumatic experience, and we have mobilised medical and other support teams in Nigeria to provide immediate support.”

He said the families of the seven men had all been able to speak to their families.

Van Dyk said the company was deeply saddened by the death of local driver Matthew Odok, who was fatally injured during the initial incident.

The men have asked not to be identified.

Africa News Agency

You Might Also Like