An estimated R100 million worth of damages was caused by the arson attack that occurred at the Sanlam auditorium of the University of Johannesburg Kingsway campus in the early hours of Monday morning.
Speaking to the media, UJ Deputy Vice Chancellor Mpho Letlape said the attack had also affected students who were due to write exams in June. “We are currently making arrangements so that the exams and tests can continue as scheduled,” she said.
Vice Chancellor Ihron Rensburg said in a statement that the perpetrators would be found and jailed.
“We will do everything within our power, and in co-operation with the authorities, to track these criminals down, prosecute them, and send them to prison for as long as possible,” he said.
The auditorium at the university went up in flames in the early hours of Monday morning.
According to Letlape, no one was injured, but the fire destroyed over 1 000 seats, as well as computer labs housing equipment used to conduct career assessment and guidance for students and prospective students.
Letlape said that a petrol bomb had been found and removed from campus last week.
Earlier on Monday, police told News24 that no suspects had been identified so far in connection with the arson attack.