Prince was reportedly treated for a drugs overdose a few days before he died.
The 57-year-old singer – who was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park home on Thursday – was hospitalised on April 15 after being taken ill on his private jet, and though his representatives insisted he was battling the flu, “multiple sources” told TMZ that was not the case.
Prince’s jet made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois – just 48 minutes away from his Minnesota home – on the way back from a gig in Atlanta and, at the hospital there, doctors administered a “save shot”, which is typically administered to counteract the effects of opiates.
And the insiders told the website doctors advised the reclusive singer to stay in hospital for 24 hours, but he left three hours after arriving and flew home after being told it was impossible for him to get a private room.
A source said the ‘Little Red Corvette’ hitmaker “was not doing well” when he left the facility.
While it has not yet been determined how the singer died, authorities in Minnesota are keen to obtain the hospital records from Moline to help their investigation into Prince’s death.
A spokesperson for the star has not commented on the claims.