Toothache can be killing, to an extent where you can have major complications. Like tooth loss, bacterial blood infection or inflammation between the lungs. And there are chances that you might be at a risk of pneumonia or brain abscesses. But, this is when, if you leave your toothache untreated.
Here are the top 5 home remedies for toothaches.
1. Pepper and Salt
Salt mixed with pepper can be of great use when a tooth becomes extremely sensitive as both the ingredients have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
- Mix equal amounts of pepper and common salt with a few drops of water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste directly on the affected tooth and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Do this daily for several days.
Use of garlic can also provide immense relief from toothache. Garlic has antibiotic and other medicinal properties that can be very effective in reducing the pain.
- Mix a crushed garlic clove (or garlic powder) with some table salt or black salt and apply it directly on the affected tooth to alleviate the pain. If you prefer, you can chew one or two cloves of garlic to get relief.
- Repeat this natural treatment for a few days.
Cloves have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant and anesthetic properties that help alleviate tooth pain and fight infection.
- Grind two whole cloves. Mix in a little olive oil or any vegetable oil and apply on the affected tooth.
- Another option is to dab a cotton ball in clove oil and rub it directly on the sore tooth. Or, you can mix a few drops of clove oil in half a glass of water and use it as a mouth rinse.
Onions have antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that control a toothache. It can provide relief from pain by killing the germs causing an infection.
- At the first sign of a toothache, chew raw onion for a few minutes to relieve the pain.
- If you are not able to chew it, place a piece of raw onion directly on the bad tooth or gum.
5. Warm Salt Water
A simple glass of warm salt water can help treat a toothache.
- Mix half a spoon of common salt in a glass of hot water and use it to rinse your mouth thoroughly.
- It will help reduce swelling and inflammation, and also fight the bacteria that cause infection.