Package holiday specialists TravelBird has released a Beach Price Index of 250 of the world’s most popular beachfronts – including four beaches in South Africa.
The Index calculates the cost of a day at each seafront.
To create the ranking, TravelBird began with a list of 900 of the world’s most popular seasides and whittled the list down to 250 of the best beaches from 66 countries worldwide.
It then calculated the cost of a day at each, factoring in average costs for sun cream, a bottle of water, a beer, ice-cream and lunch.
All prices are calculated by standardising the sizes of products, and with monetary transactions true to exchange rates on 1st July 2016.
The 10 most expensive beaches:
|1||La Plage de Maui, Tahiti||$60.13|
|2||Mareto Plage Publique, Moorea||$58.36|
|3||Anse Vata, Noumea (New Caledonia)||$56.11|
|4||Anse Georgette, Praslin (Seychelles)||$54.25|
|5||Anse Soleil Beach (Seychelles)||$54.18|
|6||Beau Vallon, Mahe (Seychelles)||$53.13|
|7||Poe Beach (New Caledonia)||$52.99|
|8||Nishihama Beach, Okinawa||$52.09|
|9||Yonaha Maehama Beach, Okinawa||$50.75|
|10||Main Beach, East Hampton, New York||$48.85|
The 10 cheapest beaches on the list consisted of a combination of four locations in Vietnam, followed by eight seaside hotspots in India.
The 10 cheapest beaches:
|1||Mandrem Beach, Goa (India)||$17.39|
|2||Agonda Beach, Goa||$17.37|
|3||Cavelossim Beach, Goa||$17.02|
|4||Palolem Beach, Goa||$16.84|
|5||Benaulim Beach, Goa||$16.57|
|6||Varkala Beach, Kerala (India)||$16.28|
|7||Long Beach, Phu Quoc (Vietnam)||$14.82|
|8||City Beach, Nha Trang (Vietnam)||$14.29|
|9||Ho Coc Beach, Ho Coc (Vietnam)||$13.67|
|10||Cua Dai Beach, Hoi An (Vietnam)||$13.54|
Four South African beaches appear in the Index, with the following rankings:
- 118th – Hobie Beach, Port Elizabeth ($34.47/R489)
- 152nd – Port St Johns, Eastern Cape ($29.33/R415)
- 165th – Ballito, KwaZulu-Natal ($28.05/R398).
- 173rd – Uvongo Beach, KwaZulu-Natal ($27.35/R388)
|Beach||Sunscreen (SPF 30, 100ml)||Water (500ml)||Beer (33cl bottle)||Ice-cream||Lunch||Total cost|
|Port St Johns||$9.93||$0.67||$2.42||$2.14||$14.17||$29.33|
“In order to have the best holiday experience, it helps travellers to have as much information about their destination as possible. This is why we came up with the Beach Price Index,” said TravelBird CEO Symen Jansma.
“The Beach Price Index is a great barometer for not only the expected costs at a certain beach, but can also be used as an indicator of costs in that region at large. It helps travellers manage their budgets, expectations and ultimately get the most from their experience.”
Further findings from the ranking include:
- The beach with the most affordable suncare products is Cua Dai Beach, Hoi An (Vietnam) at $2.01.
- The beach with the most affordable water is Palolem Beach, Goa (India) costing $0.22.
- The beach with the most affordable beer is Navagio, Zakynthos (Greece) $1.49, with the most expensive being Mareto Plage Publique, Moorea (French Polynesia) $7.62.
- The beach with the most affordable ice-cream is Nusa Dua (Indonesia) $0.51, whilst the most expensive can be found at Mareto Plage Publique, Moorea (French Polynesia) $3.87.
- The beach with the most affordable lunch is El Laguito, Cartagena (Colombia) at $7.08, with most expensive being at West Palm Beach, Florida (USA) costing $28.81.
Source: Business Tech