One-month-old baby Siwaphiwe Mbambo was snatched during what was reported as a hijacking on Friday afternoon. The mother, her lover and another unidentified woman were intercepted at Marianhill Toll Plaza on Sunday morning en route to Joburg to sell off the baby to the awaiting sangoma who wanted the baby for ritual purposes.
After news of an alleged kidnapping went viral in Mzansi on Friday and the shock that came soon after the baby was found, more shocking news has emerged. This was after the baby’s mother confessed that she was taking the baby to meet a Zimbabwean sangoma in Johannesburg after he promised to give her R1 million in exchange for the baby.
After interrogation, the mother revealed the shocking news.
“Her father refused to help with the baby’s upkeep so I became desperate. A friend told me about this man from Zimbabwe who buys babies and I contacted him,” she revealed under cross examination and added that she did not know what the man does with the babies.
“I do not want to know what he does, I just wanted my money”, she said.
Police plan to sue the suspects accused of staging a bogus kidnapping in Durban on Friday‚ The Star newspaper reported.
“This was a false case and cost us money and resources that could have been deployed in other places‚” said Major-General Bala Naidoo‚ KwaZulu-Natal deputy provincial commissioner for the detective service.
The search for baby Siwaphiwe sparked a massive police hunt last week and spawned the hashtag #BringBackDurbanBaby.
The police operation involved officers‚ vehicles and even aircraft. Members of the community also took part in the search.
Police had offered a reward of R250‚000 for information regarding the kidnapping.
The bill for the operation could easily total R500‚000‚ a source told The Star.
Three suspects are expected to appear in the Durban Magistrate’s Court on Monday. The suspects include the baby’s mother and her boyfriend.
The sangoma remains at large.