Have you not heard about the magic cake everyone is talking about? Simply mix the ingredients together and as it bakes it form three layers: (i) The Base
(ii) A gooey middle layer
(iii) A cheesecake-style layer topping. That the magic!
Makes: 1 cake
4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature, separated
150g (¾ cup) sugar
125g butter, melted
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
Finely grated rind of a medium lemon or orange
120g (1 cup) flour
500ml (2 cups) lukewarm full-cream milk
Icing sugar, sifted
1) Preheat oven to 150°C. Spray a 1.5-litre square baking dish and line the base with greaseproof paper.
2) Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.
3) Add the butter, vanilla and lemon rind and beat for another minute or two.
4) Add the flour and mix in with a metal spoon.
5) With the beater on low, slowly add the milk and beat until well mixed.
6) Wash the beaters and whisk the egg whites till stiff with a pinch of salt.
7) Use a metal spoon to gently fold in the egg whites but do not mix in completely so there are still white bits floating on the top.
8) Pour the batter into a baking dish and bake for 50 minutes until the top is lightly golden and not too firm. Cool and dust with icing sugar. Serve this magic cake on its own, with custard or ice cream and a selection of seasonal berries or fruit.