South Africa is such a diverse country. Here are some fun facts about South Africa to keep you entertained 🙂 Also have a look at the Guinness Records held by South Africans.
Did you know?
- If aliens landed in South Africa, they would be property of the State!
- South Africa has the longest wine route in the world, the R62 wine route
- South Africa is 5 times the size of Japan, and 3 time the size of Texas
- The largest theme resort hotel in the world is the Lost City Resort Hotel at Sun City
- South Africa has eleven official languages
- South Africa has produced some of the oldest fossils in the world
- The Sudwala Caves in South Africa is the oldest known caves in the world
- 20% of the world’s gold is mined in South Africa
- South Africa is home to seven world heritage sites
- South Africa has the world’s largest individually time cycle race (the Cape Argus), the world’s largest open water swimming event (the Midmar Mile), and the world’s largest ultra-marathon (the Comrades Marathon)
- South Africa is the first country in Africa to build nuclear weapons, and voluntarily gave up its nuclear weapons.
- The Vredefort dome is the oldest meteor scar in the world
- Walt Disney serves South African wine exclusively at the 73-acre Animal Kingdom Lodge in the United States
- The world’s first heart transplant was done in South Africa in 1967 by Dr Chris Barnard
- “Monkey Gland steak” was invented many decades ago by overseas chefs as an insult to the inhabitants of Johannesburg who used to pour Worchestershire and tomato sauce over everything
- Lesotho and Swaziland are partially situated inside South Africa. See the map here
- South Africa is the sole producer of the Mercedes Benz C Class, right hand draive vehicles
- Breakwater dolosse and the automatic pool cleaner were invented by South Africans
- South Africa hosted the 2010 FIFA World cup soccer tournament
source: south africa explorer