The full list of candidates who have been nominated for the post of Public Protector has been released.
There will be 59 people vying to fill Public Protector Thuli Madonsela’s shoes.
This after the list of candidates was whittled down from candidates who declined and those who did not respond to their nominations, Parliament’s public protector ad hoc committee said on Tuesday.
Members of the public have until July 8 to make objections to any of these candidates.
Committee chairperson Makhosi Khoza said there were 73 nominations by Friday, and seven candidates had declined.
These included Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene, prosecutor Gerrie Nel and former first lady Graca Machel, she said.
She said candidates such as former President Thabo Mbeki were not formally nominated through the process, but verbally, and therefore were not considered.
“The Committee is very impressed with the calibre of nominees and applicants received and this is an indication that South Africans thoroughly applied their minds in putting forward their nominees,” she said.
The CVs will be released on Parliament’s website,” she said.
“We are all trying to get the best public protector.”
She said over 90% of the candidates met the requirements.
Candidates would receive a questionnaire to complete and return it to the committee to help with the shortlisting process and interviews
The questionnaires are also due July 8.
Khoza said they would like to have the shortlisting of candidates done as soon as possible thereafter.
The committee will do interviews after the August 3 elections and have until August 31 to present a candidate to the National Assembly.
Madonsela’s term ends October 1.
Here is the full list of candidates, including those who could not be contacted and those who declined the nomination:
- Bernard Peter Agulhas
- Adv Rhulani Ralph Baloyi
- Prof Narnia Bohler-Muller
- Vincent James Botto
- Adv Nonkosi Princess Cetywayo
- Raymond Edward Chalom
- Prof Pierre de Vos
- Judge Sirajudien Desai
- Phillip Dexter
- Adv Pumeza Futshane
- Nombonisa Gasa
- Adv Mathys Johannes Gildenhuys
- Adv MT Goodman (nee Shai)
- Pregs Govender
- Prof Alexander Mzamo Gumbi
- Adv Mark Andrew Hawyes
- Nick Haysom
- Adv William Andrew Hofmeyr
- Adv Zarina Kellerman (nee Prasadh)
- Adv KB Kgoroeadira
- Ashook Kirpal
- Burt Silverston Laing
- Ms Muvhango Lukhaimane
- Adv Mohale Joseph Maluleke
- Adv Kevin Sifiso Malunga
- Lynnette Gail Marais
- Busisiwe Mkhwebane
- Vickqus Nkosikhona Mncube
- Adv Hishaam Mohamed
- M Mohlala-Mulaudzi
- Adv Chris Madibeng Mokoditwa
- Ronnie Samuel Mokoena
- Thokwane Phineas Post Moloto
- Tjitlo Monaledi
- Audrey Mpofu
- Adv Dali Mpofu SC
- Adv Loyiso Khanyisa Bunye Mpumlwana
- M Mthebule
- Adv MM Mthembu
- Themba Phillip Mthethwa
- Adv Philani Pilatu Sydney Mthethwa
- Janine Kim Myburgh
- Krish Naidoo
- Malcolm John Sphiwe Nhleko
- Sophy Moipone Noko
- Vuyokazi Pamella Noncembu
- Nokuthula Sincercia Nwaoshai
- Mthuthuzeki Moshesh Nyiki
- Jill Claudelle Oliphant
- Kaajal Ramjathan-Keogh
- Tshepiso David Humphrey Ramphele
- Riaz Achmed Saloojee
- Jonas Ben Sibanyoni
- MBoiki-John Tamako
- Adv Tseliso Thipanyane
- Adv Randal Titus
- Khunoana Harry Tswago
- Vuyisa Vuza
- Hermanus Lambertus Waldicks
- Justice Sharise Weiner
- Prince Sefako Mafojane
- Adv Thuli Madonsela (term cannot be renewed)
- Graca Simbine Machel (nomination declined)
- Bawinile May Thabethe (nomination declined)
- Adv Vusi Pikoli (nomination declined)
- Gerrie Nel (nomination declined)
- Nhlanhla Nene (nomination declined)
- Justice Yvonne Mokgoro (nominated declined)
- Zola Majavu (nomination declined)
- Adv Zwelethu Madasa (not contactable)
- Adv Mojankunyane Gumbi (not contactable)
- Adv Andrea Gabriel SC (not contactable)
- Melanie Bernard (Fryer) (not contactable)