Durban is a natural paradise known for its gorgeous coastline of sun-kissed beaches and subtropical climate, situated on the eastern seaboard of Africa. The City is built around one of the busiest ports in Africa and our people are our pride. The city focuses on providing visitors with a unique set of experiences that go beyond the beach and into the realm of Durban’s diverse culture, urban lifestyle and scenic diversity. The City of Durban is an elegant, mature and ambitious city. It is a trendsetter in offering great lifestyle, speckled with adventure activities, blessed with natural beauty and is an astonishingly liveable city. Whether you here as a business delegate or a leisure traveler there is a warm African flavor that will capture your heart forever.
- In 1962 Nelson Mandela was captured and arrested in the town of Howick and thus began his 27 years of incarceration. Mandela returned to KwaZulu-Natal to begin a new journey when he chose to cast his first vote in Inanda, Durban as a free man in 1994.
- The world’s oldest and largest ultra-marathon, the Comrades Marathon, takes place here.
- The world’s tallest bungee swing is found at the Moses Mabhida stadium (Guinness Book of Records, 14 May 2011).
- Home to the largest shopping mall in the southern hemisphere, Gateway Theatre of Shopping, with a skatepark designed by Tony Hawk.
- Durban Aliwal Shoal is considered as one of the world’s top diving sites.
- Durban harbor is the home of the 9th largest harbor in the world. The modern Port of Durban grew around trade from Johannesburg. Today Durban has the busiest container port in Africa.
- The spiritual leader of the Indian independence movement, Mahatma Ghandi began his political journey in Durban
- Durban is one of the top surfing destinations in South Africa
- The rickshaw (rickshaw) was brought to Durban, in 1893, by the sugar magnate Sir Marshall Campbell, from London. Ricksha pullers have been operating in Durban for more than 100 years.
- The 5th largest aquarium in the world and the biggest in Africa Ushaka Marine world is in Durban