You’re probably one of the many people who can’t start the day properly without drinking a cup of coffee first. It wakes you up, it moves your bowels (it’s a powerful stimulant!) and gets you ready for your daily activities. Coffee is just great, right?
Not really! Although it may be great if you drink it in the middle of the day, it could cause real damage to your body if you drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
There are a couple of reasons why you shouldn’t drink a cup of black coffee first thing in the morning:
1. It stimulates the adrenal glands to produce stress hormones
Adrenaline and cortisol are stress hormones, which increase your blood sugar levels and blood pressure, as well as your heart rate. High blood sugar levels are linked to diabetes, and high blood pressure increases the risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
2. It increases the acidity of your body
Drinking a cup of black coffee on an empty stomach increases the amount of hydrochloric acid in the digestive tract. This acid blocks the digestion of proteins, which leads to bloating, stomachache or even vomiting. This can cause serious problems with the digestion of the food you eat later throughout the day. Moreover, if the proteins aren’t fully decomposed and absorbed, the risk of inflammation of the bowels and colon cancer will be significantly increased.
There are three solutions for this problem:
1. Drink lemon juice instead – not only will it wake you up faster, but it’s good for your overall health too.
2. Put milk in your coffee – if you really can’t imagine your mornings without coffee, then at least put some milk in it to reduce the harmful effects.
3. Eat breakfast first – to prevent further damage, take a few bites before drinking your coffee. It could be anything and in any amount. Just don’t drink the coffee on an empty stomach.