Don’t pack away your suitcases and passports just yet. Here’s a list of places you can probably still afford to visit, even considering our currency’s current status.
Thailand – A desirable holiday and honeymoon destination, Thailand is beautiful, historical and affordable.
- Exchange Rate: R1.00 = 2.2 Thai Baht
- Visa: No visa needed if you stay for no more than 30 days
- Expenses: A daily budget of R440 would be sufficient for accommodation, food and public transport.
Bali – With its hospitable people and magnificent scenery, Bali is a sought-after destination for surfers and cultural tourists alike.
- Exchange Rate: R1.00 = 841 IDR
- Visa: Free visa-on-arrival for 30 days
- Expenses: R870 per day will pay for accommodation, food and transport.
Malaysia – Known for it’s array of spicy food and attractive markets, Malaysia is a treat for the senses.
- Exchange Rate: 1 Malaysian Ringgit = R3.78
- Visa: free visit for stays up to 90 days
- Expenses: R470 per day will pay for a dorm bed, food and admission to National Parks.
Laos – Popular with cyclists and bikers, the spectacular rivers and mountains in Laos make it a must-see for the adventurous traveller.
- Exchange Rate: R1.00 = 528 Laotian Kip
- Visa: Paid 30-day visa on arrival
- Expenses: An amount of R320 per day will pay for a dorm room, food and transport.
Cambodia – With its rich (and devastating) history, Cambodia is as interesting as it is beautiful. Watching a sunrise over Angkor Wat should be on every traveller’s bucket list.
- Exchange Rate: R1.00 = 255 Cambodian Riel
- Visa: A 30-day visa-on-arrival will cost you about US$30. Contact the Cambodian Embassy in South Africa to get an update on the latest visa developments before you plan your trip.
- Expenses: R250 per day will pay for a dorm bunk, food and transport.
Philippines – If diverse culture and beautiful beaches are your thing, then Philippines, made up of some 7000 islands, is your perfect destination.
- Exchange Rate: R1.00 = 3 Philippine Pesos
- Visa: No visa needed for stays up to 21 days. Make sure your passport has 3 blank pages and is valid for 6 months.
- Expenses: A daily budget of R625 will enable you to pay for a single room, food, local beer and a tricycle ride.
So, you see… it’s not all bad. Get packing!
*Please note that prices and exchange rates are approximate and likely to change at any time.
source: The South African