If you are a person that eats leftovers, the next time you do that, you should think twice, because they can be very bad for your health. They don’t taste as good as they were made, but we all eat them because they are very convenient, because you will need only a few minutes in the microwave and they are ready.
But as much as we consume them, the risk of food poisoning increases more and more. As it was stated by the Food Standards Agency, the secret for safe eating are the four Cs: cooking, cleaning, chilling, and cross-contamination, or just avoiding it. They also point out the importance of thorough cooking, especially meat, so that the possible harmful bacteria can be destroyed.
ALSO WHEN IT COMES TO REHEATING MEALS, YOU WILL NEED TO BE SURE IF THE FOOD IS STEAMING HOT ALL THE WAY THROUGHAND ALSO NEVER REHEAT DISHES MORE THAN ONCE.
This three foods should be never reheated:
The problem with the leftover rice is the way of storing. The Food Standards Agency also states that when the rice is uncooked it may contain harmful bacteria which is able to survive the initial cooking process. And, when used as leftover, it is not stored in the right temperature, so the bacteria spores can multiply and grow. That can lead to some digestive problems, such as diarrhea and vomiting. The spores are also able to survive boiling on hot temperatures. So, the best for you will be to consume the rice after its cooking and if there are some leftovers, put them in the fridge or in the freezer immediately after eating. It should not be left on room temperature for more then an hour.
- Vegetable oils
When you reheat leftovers with this kind of oil, you can increase the chances for heart disease, stroke, and cancer. Some recent studies have also shown that repeated heating up f polyunsaturated oils with linoleic acid like canola, corn, soybean, and sunflower oils, can release toxins which can lead to different health problems. More precisely, the toxin’s name is 4-hydroxy-trans-2-nonenal. According to many studies, the consumption of this toxin has been associated with various health problems,such as liver ailments, cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease. Jeannie Moloo, the spokesman of the American Dietetic Association, has stated that when vegetable oils are constantly reheated, it leads to of the abovementioned toxin. She also added that as far as cooking at home goes, you should never reheat any oil to the point of smoking, but the oil should be used only once.
Some people believe that what can make leafy greens toxic is reheating them, but the truth is that it is storing that increases their toxicity. According to the Center for Food Safety, you should not leave vegetables leftovers in places where the temperature is below 4 degrees Celsius. If your plan is to store them for more than 12 hours, you will need to put them in the freezer, because a lot of veggies such as spinach, celery, lettuce, and beets contain nitrate.Nitrate is not dangerous on its own but leaving the vegetables on a room temperature, the bacteria causes the accumulation of nitrite- a metabolite of nitrate.For infants and young children, the consumption of nitrate can be harmful and dangerous, because it can lead to a blood disorder called methemoglobinemia, which has symptoms such as headaches, shortness of breath, seizures, and fatigue.