The DA’s call for a motion of no confidence in President Jacob Zuma is premature as he has not been found guilty of any wrongdoing, the ANC said on Wednesday.
“By calling for this motion, ostensibly on account of the Public Protector’s State of Capture report, the DA is deliberately putting the cart before the horse. The frivolity of this motion is that it claims guilt of state capture on the part of the president, when none in fact exist in the report,” ANC chief whip Jackson Mthembu said in a statement.
Parliament and the nation were being dragged into the opposition’s “petty games of political stunts and posturing”.
The DA’s calls for motions of no confidence were founded on spurious allegations and narrow political motives rather than substance, Mthembu said.
“Since the start of the current term of Parliament, which is just over two years old, a total of seven motions have been tabled by the opposition.”
Mthembu said parties did not need substantial grounds or evidence of wrongdoing to call for a motion of no confidence in the president. As a result, the floodgates had been opened and Parliament’s time was being abused. The opposition was regularly calling for such motions merely to grandstand.
He said the ANC remained unwavering in its commitment to fight corruption.
DA leader Mmusi Maimane on Wednesday said the motion was an opportunity for the ANC to show it was the listening and humble organisation it claimed to be.
“The choice between Jacob Zuma and South Africa is both simple and profound. President Zuma’s brand of corruption, economic mismanagement and lies can no longer continue to exist alongside the project of building a better South Africa for all,” he said.
United Democratic Movement leader Bantu Holomisa on Wednesday said the party would support the motion.
“We have said over and over again that he (Zuma) must go, so we will vote in favour of the motion.”