As you celebrate your mother, remember to include Grandma too. If you are fortunate to have a mum then there is a mum’s mum there who made your mum a strong woman.
Some of my favorite childhood memories involve my grandmother, in one way or another. She was the person who taught me it was perfectly acceptable to eat brownies for breakfast, so long as I didn’t tell my mother. (This is a lesson I have carried with me into adulthood.) She taught me that imagination is my most powerful tool in life, and that a sunny day spent inside is a day wasted. She encouraged me to read as many books as possible, and to write down the crazy stories that popped into my head. She let me sneak out of bed and watch Bewitched reruns with her when I couldn’t sleep. She encouraged me to show off, because there was nothing wrong with letting the world know that I was “one smart cookie.”
Not sure how to tell your grandmother thank you for everything she’s done? Take inspiration from one of these quotes.
1. “A mother becomes a true grandmother the day she stops noticing the terrible things her children do because she is so enchanted with the wonderful things her grandchildren do.” — Lois Wyse
2. “As I learned from growing up, you don’t mess with your grandmother.” — Prince William
3. “A house needs a grandma in it.” — Louisa May Alcott
4. “I know what it is like to be brought up with unconditional love. In my life that came from my grandmother.” — Andre Leon Talley
5. “It is one of nature’s ways that we often feel closer to distant generations than to the generation immediately preceding us.” — Igor Stravinsky
6. “‘Grandmother’ doesn’t mean that you have gray hair and you retire and stay home cooking cakes for your grandchildren.” — Carine Roitfeld
7. “A grandmother pretends she doesn’t know who you are on Halloween.” — Erma Bombeck
8. “My grandmother is the person who inspires me the most.” — Victoria Azarenka
9. “A grandmother is a little bit parent, a little bit teacher, and a little bit best friend.” — Unknown
Images: Pexels; Giphy