1) Dried fruit and nut mix – Mix your favorite combo and throw them into the perfectly portioned snack bags. Some of my favorites are pistachios (shelled) and dried cranberries OR raisins and almonds. For a lower calorie, crunchier option, add a high fiber cereal (> 6gm of fiber, < 8gm of sugar) 2) Nut butter sandwich – Choose your favorite and slap it between 2 slices of 100% whole wheat or whole grain bread. I love Justin’s Nut Butter travel packs as an option too!.
3) Fruit – Make it easy by throwing a portable fruit in your bag. Apples and bananas are great go-tos for this.
4) Turkey sandwich – Try a low-sodium turkey breast (nitrate/nitrite-free is also a great choice) on 100% whole wheat or whole grain bread with your favorite mustard. Hint: adding mustard in between turkey slices will prevent soggy bread.
5) Veggies slices – If you don’t have the time to cut them, buy them pre-cut and throw them into a sandwich bag. Here’s an article on the best healthy snacks for the office that can also make a great travel snacks.
6) A health food bar – Choose ones that are made from whole and minimally processed ingredients and at least 8 grams of protein. Also, watch the sugar in these bars. Try to aim for less than 12 grams of sugar per bar. Some of my favorites include KindBar Protein Plus, Think Thin, NuGo Bar, Oskri Bar, Clif Mojo, The Good Bar, Luna, Luna Protein, and Simply Bar.
7) Protein powders – These are great if you have a re-usable water bottle. Throw powder in with water or skim milk and you’ve got a great treat. Tera’s Whey and Vega offer great to-go packs!