Pretoria expanded around Church Square, at the intersection of Church Street and Paul Kruger Streets.
The square is dominated by Anton van Wouw’s fabulous bronze statue of Oom Paul, patriarch, president of the South African Republic (from 1883 until his flight into exile in 1900) and who is regarded as the “Father of Afrikanerdom”.
Church Street, is one of the world’s longest urban thoroughfares – it measures a distance of 26 km from end to end.
The buildings of note are the Old Raadsaal, completed in 1889 in a French Renaissance style, with a sprinkling of classical features; the graceful Palace of Justice; the South African Reserve Bank, and the modern Transvaal Provincial Administration Building.
Guided tours of the square can be arranged.
It was designed by the architect Sir Herbert Baker and was completed in 1913. This magnificent, crescent shaped red sandstone edifice looks over the city from the heights of Meintjes Kop, from where there are panoramic views.
Features of note, apart from the graceful architecture, are the statues, the Garden of Remembrance, the Delville Wood memorial and the Pretoria war memorial.
Church Street, City Centre
Tel: (012) 300 5200
African Window Museum
It is a centre for living culture and one of Pretoria’s favourite tourist haunts. Apart from permanent exhibitions new exhibitions are on display regularly.
One of the most dynamic museums in Pretoria. Some interesting permanent exhibitions include:
Access to power – rock art exibition
Rainbow Collection – South Afrcan Heritage
Visagie Street, Between Bosman and Central Streets, Pretoria Central
Tel: 012 324 6082
The Freedom Park
Driven by the necessity for the diverse people of South Africa and the world to understand and appreciate the country’s struggle for liberation, The Freedom Park was born as a national and international icon of humanity and freedom.
The Freedom Park, with its Garden of Remembrance, is located on a 52-hectare site on Salvokop Hill at the entrance into Tshwane (Pretoria) from Johannesburg.
Phone: 012 470 7400 / 012 361 1675
Daily: free tours at 09:00, 12:00 and 15:00.
The Kruger House
It is a modest, single storied building with a wide verandah. The house was presented in 1884 to Paul Kruger, by the volk, and here he held open court, receiving his people in informal fashion on the stoep.
It went on for a decade and a half until the British drove him away. The place has been restored to something to almost like its original character; on view are Kruger’s furniture, his personal belongings, various memorabilia and his carriage and a stinkwood trek wagon.