Love it or hate it, watermelon is without a doubt the hot sister of Summer fruit. Its attractive pink colour and refreshing sweet flavour make it the stuff that sizzling hot days are made for. Oh – and let’s not forget its cameo role in the hit movie, Dirty Dancing. Who can ever forget that scene?!
And the whole pip-less watermelon thing? Don’t even go there. Whoever thought of creating a variety of watermelon without its quintessential black seeds should be fired. I understand that from a convenience perspective it makes it easier to eat – but half the fun of eating watermelon is the ceremonious removing of the little critters.
Now, one thing that we love about watermelon is that it’s so incredibly versatile as an ingredient when cooking. Here are a few of our favourite watermelon-inspired recipes…
1. Frozen watermelon lemonade – serve this well chilled!
2. Watermelon carpaccio – a simple Summer starter.
3. Kiwifruit and watermelon smoothie – for a fresh breakfast boost!
4. Watermelon, berry and feta salad – the colours alone will entice you to make this.
5. Open watermelon sandwich – for a quick snack. Deliciously fruity.
6. Watermelon Sorbet – add a touch of vodka for a naughty Summer treat (Be warned though that adding too much will prevent the mixture from freezing).