The top 5 lost arts that are finding their way back into popular culture.
- Straight razor shaving. It’s hip and trendy to sport a long beard, but if a smooth-faced look is what you’re after, straight razor shaving is super old-school-cool and making a major comeback in pop culture.
- Sewing and home craft. Crafting, once only found in the realm of granny-hood, now has a massive millennial following, with knitting and crocheting topping the charts.
- Letter writing. Sure, email is quick, easy and reliable, but the feeling of ceremony that is invoked with the writing of a card or letter is one that is being revisited by businesses and lay-people alike.
- Beer brewing. Craft beer is so popular, it’s no wonder pubs and bars are selling the home-brewed version of the popular beverage to keep up with the trend. Plus, there’s the unmistakable cool factor that comes with drinking beer with a well-designed, or unrecognisable label.
- Growing your own food. Pesticides, growth-hormones, cruelty to animals – these are some of the reasons people have started ‘growing their own’. Chickens have become more popular pets than dogs in some parts of the country, as people are recognizing the health benefits of going organic. Plus, veggie patches are always a great conversation starter at dinner parties.
Source: The South African