The committee tasked with replacing Public Protector Thuli Madonsela has whittled down the number of candidates to just 14 names.
The nomination process opened on 3 June and closed on 24 June 2016 – with the committee receiving a total of 73 nominations and applications, which was short-listed to 59 candidates.
The 14 nominated candidates are as follows:
- Judge Siraj Desai (High Court in Cape Town)
- Justice Sharise Weiner
- Adv Kevin Sifiso Malunga (Current deputy public protector)
- Adv Mamiki Goodman
- Busisiwe Mkhwebane (former director at the Department of home affairs)
- Jill Claudelle Oliphant
- Michael Mthembu
- Prof Narnia Bohler-Muller
- Adv William Andrew Hofmeyr (deputy director of Public Prosecution)
- Adv Nonkosi Princess Cetywayo (Sheriff of Belville High Court)
- Bongani Majola
- Kaajal Ramjathan-Keogh (executive director of the Southern Africa Litigation Centre)
- Muvhango Lukhaimane (Pension Funds Adjudicator)
- Adv Chris Madibeng Mokoditwa
The ANC nominated Western Cape High Court Judge Siraj Desai to take over from Public Protector, Thuli Madonsela.
The DA however, questioned the choice, citing that Desai is known to deliver judgments more than two years after the matter was heard.
Candidates will have approximately 40 minutes to sell themselves to the committee during the interview process, to be held on 11 August 2016.
Source: Business Tech