Your body language has likely become an integral part of who you are, to the point where you might not even think about it. If that’s the case, it’s time to start, because you could be sabotaging your career.
TalentSmart has tested more than a million people and found that the upper echelons of top performance are filled with people who are high in emotional intelligence (90% of top performers, to be exact). These people know the power that unspoken signals have in communication and they monitor their own body language accordingly.
- Avoiding Eye ContactWhen you don’t look someone in the eyes, it can signal deception or a lack of respect.
- SlouchingBad posture signals to others that you lack confidence and have poor self esteem or low energy levels.
- Weak HandshakeA handshake that isn’t firm will signal a lack of authority. One that is too firm could make you seem overly aggressive.
- Folding ArmsThis stance creates a sense of being closed off and may signal to others that you are disinterested in them or don’t buy into their message.
- Looking DownIf giving a presentation, when you look down while making a point, it loses all of its power and can may you look weak. In everyday interactions, it can make you look uncomfortable or self-conscious.