Diabetes is recognised as the world’s fastest growing chronic condition, below is a list of 10 tips of how you can prevent it:
1. Limit your alcohol intake Too much alcohol can lead to weight gain and may increase your blood pressure.
2. Quit smoking Smokers are twice as likely to develop diabetes as non-smokers.
3. Exercise regularly Moderate physical activity on most days of the week helps manage weight, reduce blood glucose levels and may also improve blood pressure and cholesterol.
4. Limit takeaway and processed foods Fast food is usually high in salt, fat and kilojoules. Home made food is always the best optition to go for, using fresh ingredients whenever possible
5. Stress less The stress response triggers the release of several hormones that increase blood sugar.
6. Follow a plant-based, low-calorie diet Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. Foods to avoid are those rich in trans fats, saturated fat, and sugar.
7.Choose good fats instead of bad fats.
The types of fats in your diet can also affect the development of diabetes. Good fats, such as the polyunsaturated fats found in liquid vegetable oils, nuts, and seeds can help you fight diabetes.Trans fats do just the opposite.
8. See your doctor for regular check-ups As you get older, it’s a good idea to regularly check your blood pressure and blood glucose.
9. Drink water Drinking a lot of water water helps you stay hydrated and reduces high blood pressure.
10. Get enough sleep Poor quality sleep increase the risk for diabetes and obesity.