9. As Miss Universe, she wants to advocate for access to education and children’s rights. As a dental student, she also wants to continue her awareness campaign for dental and oral care, taking her campaign all around the world.
In celebrating the 65th Miss Universe, here are 10 things you need to known about the stunning model turn beauty queen.
1. Iris Mittenaere was born in Lille, France, to Yves Mittenaere, a professor of history and geography, and Laurence Druart, a schoolteacher and lecturer. She has a brother, sister, and half-sister.
2. Mittenaere attended school in Steenvorde, where she lived with her mother. In 2011, she graduated lyceé with a degree in science. After graduating, she moved back to Lille, where she attended Lille 2 University of Health and Law, studying dentistry.
3. Mittenaere represented Nord-Pas-de-Calais at the Miss France 2016. On 19 December 2015, she was crowned Miss France by Miss France 2015 Camille Cerf in Lille.
4. She competed in Miss Universe 2016 where she succeeded Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach of the Philippines.
5. When she won the Miss Universe final, she became the first European (official) winner since 1990.
6. She became only the second woman from her country to win the crown after Christiane Martel won in 1953 breaking France’s 63 year title drought.
7. This is only the third time a French woman was among the Top 5 delegates of the Miss Universe competition, after Flora Coquerel in 2015 and Christiane Martel in 1953.
8. Iris says she loves extreme sports, including skydiving, bungee jumping and hang gliding. She also enjoys cooking French food and traveling.
10. When asked what quality makes someone confidently beautiful, Iris said, “Beauty shines from the inside out. Be kindhearted, believe in moral values, have confidence in myself, but also admit my flaws, that is the way to work on myself and become confidently beautiful.”