Whoever said ‘music is life’ made the most accurate statement since the human species came into existence.
Music slithers into our souls, it interacts with the memories and experience of the listener to become something intensely personal. A great song is about melody and lyric dovetailing together to become more than the sum of their parts, evoking ideas and emotions. A truly great song takes on a kind of intrinsic life of its own.
The best songs of our great continent are as varied and attention-grabbing as the artists who sing them, and they’re about everything from love and sex to heartbreak and survival—and just about every topic in between.
I have compiled a list of the best African songs of all time, specifically selecting the ones that appear in every list that has ever been done about the best African musical productions ever. Hence the songs with widespread approval are.
1. Umqombothi – Yvonne Chaka Chaka (South Africa).
2. Gauo – Magic System (Ivory Coast).
3. Nakupenda – Brenda Fassie (South Africa).
4. Couple Bibamba – Awilo Longomba (Congo).
5. African Queen – 2Face Idibia (Nigeria).
6. Malaika – Fadhili Williams (Kenya).
7. Once A Slave – Project Monk ft. Maulana (Ghana).
8. Zamina Mina (Zangalewa) – Golden Sounds (Cameroon).
9. Wombo Lombo – Angelique Kidjo (Benin).